You may need a gasfitter for a range of jobs around your home, including repairing a hot water unit, installing a gas fireplace or a kitchen cooktop.
And don’t think that you can hire anyone to carry this type of work out. Gasfitters can be classed as an ‘essential’ trade, as you have to be qualified and licensed or registered to carry out this type of work. This is for your health and safety, primarily because gas is easily combustible.
Before hiring a gasfitter, you may also be wondering how much they cost. The cost of gasfitting varies according to your location and what job you need to be done. This article provides a general guide to gasfitting and what a gasfitter may charge for a range of jobs.
What jobs can a gasfitter do?
With gas appliances becoming more commonplace in the modern home, there’s a good chance you’ll need to hire a gasfitter at some point. Gasfitters provide a range of services, including:
- Installing and servicing gas appliances
- Installing gas fixtures and pipes
- Assigning where gas equipment and appliances should be installed
- Testing pipes before installation
- Installing burners, gas meters and valves
- Install connections to gas heaters
- Repairing gas appliances and installations
Does my gasfitter need to be licensed?
Yes. Together with other essential trades like builders, electricians and plumbers; gasfitters need to be licensed to advertise their services and carry out any work in your home. This applies countrywide and includes work on LPG and natural gas systems and appliances. Some Mandurah plumbers offer gas fitting services; though you should check they have the relevant licenses and expertise before you hire them.
The Commerce WA defines a gasfitters scope of work as, “Install, commission, maintain, test, alter, repair and service a gas system in any building”.
Using an unlicensed contractor or attempting the work yourself is illegal and potentially dangerous.
Gasfitters are also obliged to provide you with a “compliance certificate”. This basically confirms that the work has been done to the required specifications and standards. This will normally be given to you or fixed to the appliance.
Only a licensed gasfitter can legally carry out any work on a gas appliance or installation in your home
Questions to ask your Mandurah gasfitter
When it comes time to hiring a Mandurah gasfitter make sure they are right for your job. Some questions to ask them to include:
- Are you appropriately qualified, accredited or licensed?
- Do you hold valid insurance (professional indemnity and public liability insurance)?
- Can you provide a written quote?
- How long will my job take?
- Do you have references I can follow up?
How much does a gasfitter cost?
The cost of hiring a gasfitter depends on a few factors, including your location and the work required. That being said, expect gasfitters to charge between $60 and $90 per hour for labour. They may also charge a call-out fee of up to $100. For this price, you can expect a two-man team – an experienced gasfitter and an apprentice.
Here is an idea of what a gasfitter may charge for some common projects around the home:
- $290 for the installation of a gas cooktop (cooktop not included)
- $390 for the installation of a 90cm gas stove/oven (oven not included)
- $1,650 for the supply and installation of a Rheem Stellar 330, including removal of old unit
- $1,840 for supply and installation of a Bosch 26e continuous gas hot water heater, including fittings and 4 metres of copper piping (installation of a PowerPoint not included)
Remember that if your installation involves any extra work or alterations you will be charged more.
Finding the right gas fitter in Mandurah
When reviewing gas fitting quotes, you should ascertain what the price includes, as well as identify any work that will cost extra. Best to check with your gasfitter before work begins and avoid getting into an argument when the bill arrives.
And lastly, remember that the lowest quote isn’t always the one to go with. Check each quote and select a gasfitter who you feel can – and is qualified to – do the job. The best way of finding out the cost of your project is to get quotes from local Mandurah gasfitters. This will give you a sense of what market rates currently are.